Last Updated On: July 19, 2018
Information We Collect
We may collect personally identifiable information about you that you provide to us when you use our Services such as your name, age, and email address (“Personal Information”). We may collect Personal Information directly from you, from third parties, and automatically through your use of our Services. We may combine information collected from or about you from these various sources.
When you create an account with us for the lifetime free plan, a verification email will be sent to the e-mail address you used for registration to prove that you are the owner of the email address. You can also create an account with us, by logging in through certain third-party accounts, such as Facebook. By logging in through a third-party account, you grant us permission to access certain information from that third-party account as explained on the permissions page when you log in.
We may also automatically collect information about users of our Services through cookies (see Section 2 for more information), web beacons, and other technologies. The collected information may include, but is not limited to, IP address, domain name; browser type and operating system; web pages viewed while logged in; links clicked; the length of time spent on our Services; and the referring URL, or the webpage that led a user to our Services. In addition, we may collect information about user activities within our Services, such as learning progress, lessons accessed and completed, and download history.
If you choose to purchase a product from us, you agree that we or our third-party payment processors will collect your payment information including Paypal and Stripe. Depending on the payment option you select at checkout, we may automatically transmit the data to the applicable payment processor including your full name, email, IP address, and if applicable, billing and shipping address or other data as necessary to process the order. The transmission of the data is aimed at payment processing and fraud prevention in order for the third-party payment processors to conduct identity and creditworthiness checks. The third-party payment processor will, if necessary, pass on your personal data to affiliates and service providers or subcontractors to the extent necessary to fulfill contractual obligations or for data to be processed in the order. The applicable data protection provisions of each of these third-party processors may be found on their websites.
We may also, from time to time, ask you to provide additional information about yourself, including your age, your role (teacher, parent, etc.), job title, organization name, the age of your students/children, hobbies, and usernames for your children/students. You can choose not to provide this additional information to us. We reserve the right to record, read, copy, disclose, and use (but not transmit to any third party) any text, speech, data, images, and other materials you transmit to us via non-public means for improving our Services.
Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms
A cookie is a small text file that is stored on a user’s computer for record keeping purposes. Cookies can take the form of session cookies or persistent cookies. A session cookie expires when you close your browser and is used to make it easier for you to navigate our website. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for specified period of time.
Our Services do not respond to Do Not Track signals. For more information about Do Not Track signals, please click here.
Use of Information
We use your information, including Personal Information, as follows:
- Deliver the services and products that you have requested;
- Processing orders and payments;
- Communicate with you about your use, or use by children associated with your account, of our Services;
- Manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- Enforce our terms and conditions;
- Comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations
- Analyze how users interact with our Services
- Manage our business; and
- Perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection
When you register for a user account on our Site, you are automatically enrolled into our communication newsletters, promotional newsletters, and other newsletters. You may opt out of any or all of such newsletters at any time by contacting us at sayhello [at] littlechinesereaders.com, or by the unsubscribe link included in every newsletter. Our newsletters contain tracking pixels to enable log file recording and analysis to help us track the success and failure of our marketing campaigns. Based on the tracking pixel, we may see if and when an email was opened by you and which links in the emails were clicked upon. You use the data collected to optimize the design and delivery of our newsletters to better serve our users. These personal data will not be passed to any third party.
Disclosure of Information
As a matter of policy, we do not sell or disclose any Personal Information about you to any third party except to provide you with products or services you have requested, when we have your permission, or under the circumstances listed below:
- With other users of our services in order to provide our Services, such as disclosing a child’s information with a parent, teacher, or school administrator so that the parent, teacher, or school administrator can monitor his/her child’s progress on our Services;
- To our teachers in order provide Services you have requested;
- In response to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, from law enforcement agencies or state and federal regulators, or as otherwise required by law;
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of us or other persons, including to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues, or anything else that we may consider to be, or pose a risk of being, an illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity;
- As we deem appropriate to attempt to prevent physical or emotional harm to other persons and/or to their property based on overt or implied threat; and
- In connection with an actual or proposed corporate merger, acquisition, asset purchase, or other transaction or proceeding involving all or part of the business or assets to which the information pertains.
We may also disclose aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified information about users for marketing, advertising, research, compliance, or other purposes.
Period of Retention of Personal Information
We shall process and store your Personal Data only for the period necessary to achieve the purpose of storage, or as far as permitted by the applicable law.
Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Profile
You can edit and change any of your personal profile information at any time by accessing your Account page. Your username may be changed by emailing us at sayhello [at] littlechinesereaders.com and requesting that this action be taken.
User’s Rights to Personal Information
You have the following rights to your Personal Information:
- Right to be informed of how we are using your Personal Information;
- Right of access to know which of your Personal Information is held and processed by us;
- Right of having any of your inaccurate or incomplete Personal Information rectified;
- Right to erasure at any time for any reason (or for no reason);
- Right to restrict a certain type of processing of your Personal Information;
- Right to retain and reuse your Personal Information for other purposes;
- Right to object to how your Personal Information is used; and
- Right to limit the use of your Personal Information by automated decision making and profiling.
You may, at any time, exercise any of your above-mentioned rights by contacting us at sayhello [at] littlechinesereaders.com. Upon your notification, we will comply with your request as reasonably possible in accordance with our policy and applicable law. However, in some incidents, we may only comply by terminating your membership or otherwise restricting your access to our Site. Please note that we can only honor requests to out opt of disclosures on a going forward basis and opt-out requests do not affect information that we have previously disclosed. We may also retain certain information about you as required by law or as permitted by law for legitimate business purposes.
Your Use of other Members Information
To safeguard the confidentiality of your Personal Information, we utilize sophisticated security techniques and procedures, including: daily security and vulnerability scans, software audits, firewalls, and data encryption (Secure Socket Layers). We make every effort to protect that data against loss and unauthorized access. We employ many different security techniques to protect such data from unauthorized access by others. Despite our efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security. In the event that Personal Information is compromised as breach of security, we will promptly notify you in compliance with applicable law.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, singing off after using a shared computer, choosing a strong password that cannot be easily guessed, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Note about Children
Children under the age of 13 in the United States or under another age specific to certain other countries are required to get parental approval before using the Site (e.g. such as via credit card authentication). Furthermore, children are not permitted to disclose Personal Information on our Site. Should a child disclose Personal Information to the site without proper parental authorization, upon proper notification by and identification of the child’s parent, we will disclose to the parent any Personal Information collected. If you are a parent, teacher, or school administrator, we encourage you to talk to your children about online safety and how they can protect themselves online. Please see below for more information on our policies regarding children’s privacy. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child below the minimum age, please contact us at sayhello [at] littlechinesereaders.com.